My memoir Better Off Bald: A Life in 147 Days will be published in October 2019. To read the first chapter, text BETTEROFFBALD to 44222 (valid until July 12, 2019). In the meantime, you can listen to Adrienne’s story about her 147-battle with liver cancer via the Better Off Bald podcast series.
Read what others have said about Adrienne and my own personal feelings about the best kid ever.
When asked to describe Adrienne, her family and friends chose these words: extraordinary, brilliant, wicked smart, sardonic wit, loquacious, enthusiastic, positive, amazing, incredible, heroic, passionate, stubborn, memorable, inspiring, beautiful, creative, sweet, loving, outgoing, funny, hysterical, quirky, delightful, remarkable, strong, enigmatic, bohemian, unforgettable, shining star, young spirit, old soul.
For me, Adrienne was simply The Best. She was my child, my sister and my best friend. My everything. When I gained custody of Adrienne, she was eight years old, and I was 22 years old. She taught me how to be a parent, and I gave her unconditional love. People often commented how we were so different upon first glance, but if you looked closely, we were very much alike.
One friend said, “Both are bright, beautiful, determined, energetic, hard-working and strong-willed. But even more importantly, they are passionate and protective of their loved ones. They will go to the ends of the earth for the people they care about — especially each other.”
I could not save Adrienne from liver cancer, but I have made it my mission to tell her story and to help others suffering from this devastating disease. Together — we can fight and win — the war against liver cancer. — Andrea J. Wilson
Adrienne was an excellent student who loved to read and to write. She chronicled the highs and lows of her liver cancer journey in her online journal.
- Click Adrienne’s Live Journal to read about Adrienne’s story in her own words. Click on ‘Xio’ to view her journal entries.
- Click on Hollywood Forever Cemetery to view more pictures of Adrienne as well as see the chapel video tribute that was shown at her memorial service.
- Click on Why Blue Faery to learn about the origin of our organization’s name.
- Click on Luther Burbank Middle School Book Drive to learn about an annual book drive in honor of Adrienne.
- Download the Burbank Leader article “One Tough Cookie” and Andrea’s Letter to the Editor; The Acorn article “Theatre helps in teen’s fight for life“; and Adrienne’s obituary from the Burbank Leader to read more about her battle with liver cancer.
- Download our Blue Faery brochure to read more about Adrienne and Blue Faery’s mission.